Paolo's Survivor Experience

Sunday, September 14, 2008

He may be used to hosting reality shows and braving dangerous places where the different mental and physical challenges unfold but for Paolo Bediones, Survivor is a game no one can ever prepare for.

This, he has come to realize as Paolo took the grueling task of guiding and leading the 18 castaways for 39 days in the island of Koh Tarutao in Thailand for GMA 7’s latest reality show Survivor Philippines, to air weeknights starting tonight at 9:15.

“Before I left, I told myself, there’s no way I can prepare myself physically, mentally truly for what’s gonna happen. In a very good way, it wasn’t what I expected. It’s much worse,” Paolo says, whose skin got a few shades darker and weight now lighter by 12 pounds. “But when I say much worse, it means, the work is much harder yet very fulfilling.”

Even the castaways were initially seemed caught by surprise when they were asked to swim at a depth of 20 feet, one kilometer stretch from the drop off point to the island also known as the Devil’s Island. It was an initial test of endurance and skills as great challenges await them in an island where wild animals abound. Yet, Paolo made sure all the challenges were safe.

He and the production team flew ahead of the castaways to check on the chosen site, set it up and assured everyone all the challenges do not exceed the line of safety.

“We worked as a team and everybody got really tired. It was really funny that I kept telling to myself that I must not get sick because we often rode in a dump truck soaking wet in the rain during our (45-day) stay there. Now, here I am I got sick just because nag-rappel ako dito while raining,” Paolo says.

But Paolo is proud of how he has smoothly accomplished all the tasks hanging on his shoulders. He is not just a host but an instigator and arbitrator as well. That is why, Paolo must know everything happening in-between challenges and among the castaways. Knowing each of the contestants’ background is also essential without allowing himself to be too friendly with anyone of them.

“Everything is real. Nothing is concocted and nothing is manipulated — from the selection of the castaways to executing all the challenges. The only thing that was scripted is the lines that I have to deliver,” Paolo assures. “I wrote them based on the original show (Survivor).”

Televiewers will also see how Paolo gets so mad with the contestants whenever there are clashes among the tribe. “I hardly smile here. If ever you see me smile, it’s a sarcastic one.”

And all the hard work paid off. Survivor owner Castaway Television Productions representatives were impressed on how the whole local team worked when they visited the set in Thailand.

“They are happy to see how smooth things are going. Second, there would be no question about having a second season, kung sakali. There are innovations in the show that we introduced that they want to introduce worldwide,” Paolo proudly shares.

But what strikes Paolo most is how Survivor host Jeff Probst has been so supportive of the local version to the extent of promoting it on the Kapuso network for free.

“He even gave me advice through an interview. He said to just enjoy the show and just be myself. Ever since I’m a fan of Survivor and this is my dream job because what else is next for me after Extra Challenge? This is much, much bigger for me.”

And who among the castaways does he think will leave a mark on the audience?

“Each of them has a unique personality. I’m sure all of them will have their own supporters because of how they play the game or maybe because they are entertaining to watch,” Paolo replies.

What is one trait of the Pinoy he noticed during the game?

“We, Pinoys really never say die especially if we are so focused in our goals,” he says.

And what challenges has he survived as a host?

“I survived the storms without getting sick, those three small meals a day, the long walks, and the experience of having to live a simple life,” he replies.

And every Sunday, while in the island, Paolo would read passages from the Bible and all of them in the production team including those who were eliminated would pray together.

“A lot of us became prayerful. You’re in a foreign land and in an island pa where you have to cling on to something. We also became open to one another,” Paolo offers.

0 comments: